University Museums offers Iowa State students the opportunity to explore careers in the museum field and gain professional experience through our internships focused in education, collections management, public relations, curatorial research, historic home management and visitor services. Students applying for an internship or fellowship must be currently enrolled at ISU.
We are now accepting applications for the Spring 2021 semester. Applications are based on a first come, first served model.
- Understand the importance of education and research in the museum field.
- Work closely with museum educators and curators to care for the Art on Campus collection
- Develop and implement educational programming.
- Research objects in preparation for future exhibitions.
- Gain practical hands-on experience maintaining the University Museums' sculpture garden.
- Work with museum staff to plant and maintain the garden.
- Assist with the care of objects in the garden and the wider Art on Campus collection.
Margaret Davidson Collections Management Internship
- Understand the importance of collection management in the museum field.
- Gain knowledge of proper object documentation, photographing, and research.
- Gain insight into the care and maintenance of a collection.
Margaret Davidson Curatorial Internship
- Understand the importance of object and collection research in the museum field.
- Gain knowledge of key curatorial components - education, research, documentation.
- Gain insight into exhibition installation & permanent collection installation of Art on Campus.
Margaret Davidson Public Relations Internship
- Understand the importance of public relations in the museum field.
- Gain knowledge of marketing techniques - press releases, fliers, social media applications.
- Gain insight into photographic documentation of exhibitions and events.
Richard Taylor Education Internship
- Understand the importance of education in the museum field.
- Gain knowledge of audience development through educational techniques.
- Gain insight into exhibition installations that utilize educational principles.
Wayne and Eleanor Ostendorf Farm House Museum Undergraduate Assistant
- Understand all aspects of daily Farm House Museum operations.
- Gain knowledge in the care and development of collections and collection-based research.
- Gain insight into exhibitions and work as a team member to develop integrated curatorial and educational programming and other learning opportunities.
Lynette Pohlman Museum Fellowship