ISU University Museums
Main Content

Green Dot Exhibition

Posted on February 14, 2018 at 2:22 PM by Nancy Gebhart

If Not Me, Then Who?

Jazzmine Brooks (Hudson), MPA (Gender Pronouns: She, Her, Hers)

Violence Prevention and Green Dot Coordinator

I think it is easy for people to see my role on campus and say that I’ve been able to intervene in situations within my personal, everyday life. Completely untrue! I can stand in front of 100s of people and convince them to be active bystanders in moments that count to help make our campus safer. I believe that there is power in DOING SOMETHING! Our barriers are real but we can’t allow that to stop us from doing what is right. I ask for help or cause a distraction to protect that space and the people in it. I think about a quote from Albert Einstein that sticks with me the most – “The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything.” If we continue to allow issues of power-based personal violence to happen, will it be our downfall? Yes! I care about our community and want to empower people to be active bystanders. For the slight embarrassment you may feel when checking-in, you can stand between someone living a strong life versus going through a journey of pain. Many don’t have anyone to stand in that space and they live with their trauma every second. How about we not let it happen? Direct, Delegate or Distract! Tell your friend they are wrong, check-in with a stranger, or wear a pin to support this cause of culture change. Your ‘small’ part gets us further to the finish line. Never underestimate the power of many. If you not you, then who?

Comments
There are no comments yet.
Add Comment

* Indicates a required field

© 2024 University Museums, Iowa State University. All rights reserved.