Posted on September 23, 2019 at 11:30 AM by Betsy Grabinski
The newest public art on Iowa State University's campus brings glamour and illumination to the Iowa State Center, home to the visual and performing arts on campus. The sensational installation of three large-scale chandeliers now graces the two and a half story atrium of the Scheman Building.
The 1970s Brutalist architectural style of the Iowa State Center is complemented by the Mid-Century Modern Met Chandeliers designed by Hans Harald Rath (Austrian, 1904-1968). The chandeliers were first presented to the public in 1966 when installed in the Metropolitan Opera House, Lincoln Center, New York City.
Manufactured and installed in early September by the Austrian firm Lobmeyr Werkstatten, the chandeliers were commissioned in 2019 by the University Museums as the public art project for the new Brunnier Art Museum renovation. This acquisition is made possible by the newly established Joyce Tomlinson Brewer Fund for Art Acquisitions and is part of the permanent Art on Campus Collection. The Chandeliersare made up of aluminum, brass, steel and nearly a thousand Swarovski pearls and crystals.
"The Met Chandeliers are the first Lobmeyr chandeliers at a university and were planned to accentuate the existing architecture of the space. Iowa State is fortunate to have private donors, like Joyce T. Brewer, who understand the need for arts in public spaces and nurture the development of the permanent collection. The Scheman Building is now a destination for the campus community and visitors to Iowa with the addition of these chandeliers, the renovation of the Brunnier Art Museum, and the innovative exhibitions in the new Lori A Jacobson Gallery." -Lynette Pohlman, Director and Chief Curator, University Museums